We’ve covered a lot of guides in the past that offers a 100% working way to update your Galaxy Nexus (YAKJUXW) to YAKJU or TAKJU firmware in order to Get future Updates directly from Google, which in case of Non-Yakju variants are offered by Samsung and apparently delayed by several weeks. All our earlier tutorials to install Android 4.2.2 Takju/Yakju firmware on GSM Galaxy Nexus, have been available for Windows users only. Anyways, here is our easy guide for Mac OS X users to accomplish the same task on Mac, which is rather easier on Mac than Windows system because on Mac you don’t need to install and configure ADB or Fastboot drivers which itself is a crucial step on Windows.
Note: This procedure supports all Non-Yakju GSM devices (yakjuxw, yakjuux, yakjusc, yakjuzs, yakjudv, yakjukr and yakjujp) provided they’re factory unlocked.
Install Yakju or Takju? Takju, the firmware that ships with Google Play Store version of Galaxy Nexus (in US) apparently receives updates faster than the Yakju variant. So, it’s better to choose Takju over Yakju.
~ Besides installing Android 4.2.2 Yakju or Takju on Galaxy Nexus, the below tutorial comes handy in other situations as well. This may include:
- When your Galaxy Nexus gets stuck in boot loop or can’t get past the Google logo (“soft brick”).
- When you prefer to Restore Stock Android from a custom ROM. Relock to fully return to factory settings. (Required when you need to return the device to store).
Disclaimer: Try this guide at your own risk! We wont be responsible in case your device gets bricked. This may also void your warranty.
1. This process requires to unlock bootloader which Completely Wipes your device including /sdcard. So make a backup first.
2. Your Galaxy Nexus device name should be maguro (See how to check that)
3. This procedure is meant only for GSM/HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus.
Tutorial – Changing Galaxy Nexus from Yakjuxw (Non-Yakju) to Android 4.2.2 Yakju/Takju on Mac OS X
1. Download the required files -
- Download 4.2.2 (JDQ39) Official “Takju” factory Image (Direct Link) or Yakju image for Galaxy Nexus "maguro" (GSM/HSPA+).
- Download Fastboot-Mac
2. Extract the above downloaded .tgz file using an archive program. Then open the folder ‘takju-jdq39’ and extract the file ‘image-takju-jdq39.zip’ to the same folder. Now you should see 6 files with an .img extension.
3. Create a new folder named ‘galaxynexus-fastboot’ in your Home directory in Finder. Then copy all the extracted 6 .img files and fastboot-mac file to this folder.
4. Turn off your phone. Then boot it into bootloader/ fastboot mode by holding ‘Volume Up + Volume Down key and Power key’ simultaneously.
5. Connect the phone to Mac using USB cable.
6. Open Terminal on Mac (Applications > Utilities). In terminal, type the following lines of code after the $, hit return (enter) after each line. In second line, type your user name as seen in Finder, and without the brackets.
cd [your username]
./fastboot-mac oem unlock
A screen titled ‘Unlock Bootloader’ will appear on your phone. Select ‘Yes’ to unlock (use volume keys to navigate and power key to make your selection). The lock state should say Unlocked.
Flashing Android 4.2.2 Takju/Yakju Manually using Terminal on Mac –
When your device is in fastboot mode, enter all the below commands step-by-step in stated order (use copy-paste in terminal to input the command). Refer below image:
Note: Make sure to wait for the “finished.” notification in Terminal before entering the next command. The system.img and userdata.img file takes a big longer to flash.
./fastboot-mac flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-primelc03.img
./fastboot-mac flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxlj1.img
./fastboot-mac flash system system.img
./fastboot-mac flash userdata userdata.img
./fastboot-mac flash boot boot.img
./fastboot-mac flash recovery recovery.img
./fastboot-mac erase cache
That’s it! Your device should now boot up normally with the latest Android 4.2.2 update and ‘Takju/Yakju’ firmware that will offer prompt updates directly from Google.
To re-lock the bootloader, in the terminal, type: ./fastboot-mac oem lock
- Easiest Way to Change Galaxy Nexus from Yakjuxw (Non-Yakju) to Android 4.2 Yakju/Takju and Get future Updates from Google