Earlier today, Google announced a great news for Nexus S owners by offering them the most anticipated and the latest Android OS update ‘Ice Cream Sandwich’, literally at the best time of the year. Starting today, Google has begin rolling out the awesome Android 4.0, ICS update to GSM/UMTS Nexus S devices. However, the official ICS update may take a while to hit your Nexus S. Therefore, here is a simple tutorial for all those who can’t wait for the OTA update and are really desperate to taste ICS.
Note: This update is meant only for the GSM/UMTS Nexus S phones. Also, only upgrade if your Nexus S is running the official Gingerbread build and NOT any Custom ROM.
Steps to Manually Update Nexus S to Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich –
1. Download Android 4.0 ICS update file. (Official)
2. Rename the downloaded file to update.zip.
3. Copy the file to the Internal storage (root directory) on your Nexus S.
4. Turn off the device. Then hold down the Volume Up and Power button to boot into the Nexus S bootloader.
5. Select Recovery (Use volume buttons to navigate and power key to select.)
6. As you see the warning triangle and arrow, hold the power key and tap volume up button. A menu will appear.
7. From menu, select “apply update from /sdcard“, and select update.zip file.
8. Wait till device installs the update. Upon completion, choose “reboot system now“.
Voila! After reboot, Android 4.0 should welcome you. 🙂
via [Android Central]