Mobile Number Portability (MNP) is a facility which allows users to change their mobile operator while retaining their existing operator’s mobile number. Currently, MNP has been launched only in Haryana and one should be with existing operator for at least 90 days before they can port into another operator.
How to Switch to Airtel without changing your Mobile No. –
If you’re a Non-airtel mobile customer and want to move your mobile number to Airtel, then simply follow the steps below laid by Airtel to set them as your mobile operator:
1. You need to generate UPC (Unique Porting Code) by sending SMS to 1900. UPC is an alphanumeric code allocated, upon request, by a mobile operator to its subscriber for the purpose of facilitation of porting of his/her mobile number to another operator.
- SMS to be sent : PORT <your Mobile Number> to 1900. Operator SMS charges will be applicable. Eg. SMS PORT 98XXXXXXXX to 1900
2. After sending SMS to 1900, you will receive UPC (Unique Porting Code) as a SMS from 1901 giving 8 digit alpha-numeric Unique Porting Code (UPC) and UPC expiry date in MM/DD/YYYY format
3. Visit your nearest airtel outlet / showroom
4. Fill airtel Mobile Number Porting (MNP) form providing details like
- Current Mobile Number
- Current Operator name
- UPC code
5. Submit Address & Id proof documents, self-attested photo and last bill copy of postpaid connection (if applicable) along-with filled MNP form and Customer Agreement Form.
6. Buy the airtel MNP SIM card from airtel outlet / showroom. SIM charges, talktime value and porting charge are non-refundable in the event of cancellation / rejection of port-in request.
7. Airtel will send an SMS on your old/existing operator’s SIM (existing connection) intimating about the porting date and time, i.e. the date and approximate time till when you can continue to use your existing operator’s SIM card.
8. There will be a 2-hour ‘no service period’ which will begin after the porting time as given above. The ‘no service period’ will be between 12 midnight to 5 am during which your mobile service will not be active on any SIM. All efforts will be made to ensure that this ‘no service period’ causes minimum inconvenience to you.
9. After the ‘no service period’, you can replace your existing operator’s SIM card with the new airtel SIM card in your handset.
Once your Airtel SIM card is activated, you would be ready to enjoy airtel’s high-quality network, innovative value added services and customer service using your existing mobile number.
MNP Charges – You have to pay a nominal porting fee of Rs.19 at the time of making the porting request. After submitting the required documents and payment you will get the Airtel MNP SIM card from the outlet.
>> Check the Mobile Number Portability FAQs page at Airtel for more details.