Did you attempt jailbreaking your new iPhone 8/8 Plus/X to get a better experience, or did your iPhone 7/7 Plus/6s/6s Plus got stuck in DFU mode after the iOS update/downgrade, or did your iPhone got stuck on the Apple logo, but recovery mode couldn’t restore it? Thankfully, you can resolve these issues without losing your data if you know how to enter and exit DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode on your iPhone. In this post, you’ll learn how to put the iPhone in DFU mode.
When Should You Use DFU Mode on Your iPhone?
For most issues, you don’t need to put your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad into DFU mode. It’s possible that you were already in recovery mode when the problem occurred. In the following situations, DFU mode will be required:
- Jailbreak or Unjailbreak your iPhone – The iPhone has various limitations regarding how it may be used, such as the kind of apps installed on it. Jailbreaking an iPhone allows users to get more control over it.
- Downgrade your iOS device – Updating to the most recent version of iOS isn’t always the best option. For instance, when iOS 12/13 was released, many people complained about its obvious bugs, and they were looking for a way to downgrade to the previous version.
- Issues that recovery mode is unable to resolve.
NOTE: It’s important to understand that using DFU mode to downgrade your device’s firmware to an unsigned version or jailbreak could damage it and void its warranty. If DFU restorations fail, there are a few options for resolving the issue.
Why do we need to put our iPhone/iPad into DFU Mode?
You won’t feel compelled to put the iPhone in DFU mode to resolve minor difficulties. Instead, you may utilize Recovery mode to repair small issues like an iPhone locked in a loop.
In the following cases, however, you may need to put your iPhone in DFU mode.
- If you wish to jailbreak or unjailbreak your smartphone.
- If you don’t like the current iOS version, you may utilize DFU mode to downgrade it.
- DFU mode can also remove obsolete or expired iPhone beta versions.
Simple ways to put the iPhone in DFU mode:
Looking to put the iPhone in DFU mode? Follow one of the below methods to get started.
Enter DFU mode with buttons
On iPhone or iPad with Face ID and iPhone 8/8 Plus:
- Plug your iPad or iPhone into your Mac or Windows computer after turning it off.
- Check whether iTunes or Finder is open.
- Press and hold the device’s Side button for three seconds.
- Press and hold the Volume Down button while holding the Side button. Hold both the buttons for around 10 seconds.
- Let go of the Side button but keep the Volume Down button pressed for five seconds.
- Release the Volume down key. The iPhone has entered DFU mode if the screen is lighted but blank.
How to exit DFU mode?
- Quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
- Quickly press the Volume Down button.
- Hold down the Side button until the Apple logo shows up on the display.
Your iPhone has now successfully got out of DFU mode.
Enter DFU mode without using the Home button
Follow the below-mentioned steps to enter DFU mode without using the Home button.
- Use a USB cable to connect your iOS device to your Mac or Windows PC.
- After starting iTunes, press and release the Volume Up button on your device. Then press and release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Power/Side button.
- While continuing holding the Power button, press and hold the Volume Down button for a few seconds.
- Release the Power/Side button but continue holding the Volume Down button for over 10 seconds.
If the screen is black, it means you have successfully entered DFU mode. You can now upgrade or downgrade the iOS version.
Enter DFU mode without using any buttons
TunesKit iOS System Recovery enables you to quickly resolve common tvOS and iOS issues without needing any assistance from Apple experts. Whether the iOS device is stuck in DFU mode/ recovery mode/ white Apple logo or the screen has gone black or frozen, the iOS repair tool will quickly get you out of problems and restore your device to normal.
Features of TunesKit iOS System Recovery:
- TunesKit iOS System Recovery has a success percentage of 100%.
- The tool’s Standard Repair mode assists you in restoring your device without losing data.
- Enter or Exit DFU mode with a single click.
- Supports the most recent version of iOS, including iOS 15.
- Downgrading iOS versions are supported.
How to put the iPhone in DFU mode using TunesKit iOS System Recovery
- Download TunesKit and install it on your computer. Then run the program.
- Connect your iOS device to your PC and select the “Enter Recovery Mode” option to put your device into recovery mode.
- Click the “Start” button once the device is in Recovery mode.
- Choose “Standard Mode” for repair and click the Next button (at the bottom right).
- Click on “Download” to get the latest iOS firmware package.
- After downloading the firmware package, select “Repair” to start fixing your device. Before resolving any issues, this procedure will take a few minutes.
If you’re having a problem with iOS or wish to download iOS, you can refer to this page for instructions. Many difficulties can be resolved by placing an iPhone or iPad in DFU mode. If this doesn’t help, you can try using the TunesKit iOS System Recovery program. All you have to do is restore your smartphone with this tool, and you should be able to solve any issues on your iOS device.