Forgetting the passcode on an iPhone is not a rare situation and the first solution that comes to mind is restoring the device. Though the official recommended solution by Apple in such scenarios is also restoring the device to the factory setting. However, if you have not backed up the data, all your device data will be lost as soon as you factory reset your phone. Sadly, there is nothing you can do about it unless you have a previous backup to restore later.
The below guide lists different ways to unlock an iPhone without restore when you forgot the passcode.
Reasons to avoid Restore when you forgot the iPhone Passcode
As we have discussed above, a lot of users restore their iPhones when they forgot the passcode, but there are several issues and drawbacks to this solution. Let’s see the limitations of restoring below.
- If you are using the iTunes method for restoring your iPhone then you first need to turn off Find My iPhone feature. Since Find My comes enabled by default on the iPhone, there are only a handful of people who turn it off. So, in situations when you forgot your passcode, you will not be able to access your device and thus cannot turn off Find My iPhone and thus can’t even perform the desired restore.
- In case you are thinking to go with the Recovery Mode option for restoring your phone the process can actually be more troublesome. Many users face issues like the phone getting stuck during the recovery mode loop which in turn does not let you exit and ultimately the device becomes unstable. This can be once in a while situation but can happen.
3 Methods to Unlock iPhone without Restore when you forgot the Passcode
Here are 3 methods that you can use to unlock your iPhone or iPad without restoring it in case you forget the passcode.
Using a Professional Unlock Tool – iMyFone LockWiper
Let’s start with the best method which is using an expert and professional tool – iMyFone LockWiper. This is an excellent Windows and Mac-based software that allows you to unlock your iPhone instantly, no matter what the situation or reason is. Using the software, you can easily unlock your iPhone, iPad, as well as iPod touch devices without passcode in a few quick steps and by yourself. The process is safe and secure and works with all the latest devices including those running on iOS 16.
- Allows removing 4 and 6-digit passcode along with the option for removing Touch ID, Face ID, and alphanumeric passcode.
- Works in all situations like forgetting the passcode, second-hand device, multiple incorrect attempts, broken screen, and more.
- Allows removing the Apple ID without a password.
- Works with all the latest iOS versions, including iOS 16.
- Compatible with Windows and Mac.
Steps to unlock iPhone screen passcode using iMyFone LockWiper
Step 1 – Launch software, choose Unlock Screen Passcode, and connect your device.
Download, install, and launch the program. Select “Unlock Screen Passcode” mode from the main interface. Next, tap on the Start button and connect the iPhone to your computer using a USB cable. Then tap the Next button to proceed.
Note: If your connected device is not recognized, you would need to put it into the DFU/Recovery mode to manually detect it.
Step 2 – Extract the Firmware Package
After the device model is detected by the software, click the ‘Download’ button to get the appropriate firmware for your iOS device. After the firmware package is verified and downloaded, click on the “Start to Extract” button.
Step 3 – Unlock Screen passcode
Tap the “Start Unlock” button to start the process of unlocking the screen passcode.
Note: Make sure that the device is connected to your PC via a USB cable during the process.
Next, read the note and then enter 000000 to double confirm for device unlocking. Again, click on the ‘Unlock’ button and the device will now automatically enter the Recovery mode.
The process will start and the screen passcode lock will be removed from your iPhone in a few minutes.
Another method for removing the iPhone passcode without restore is by using the iCloud method through the Find My iPhone feature. Though Find My is designed to find a lost or stolen device, it can also be used to erase the device in case you have forgotten the passcode. When you erase your device, all the phone data as well as settings including the passcode will be erased and this will be done without changing the iOS version or restoring the device to factory settings.
- A device with internet access
- iCloud login details (username and password) to access Find My.
- On your computer, visit iCloud.com and enter your Apple ID (the same as used on the phone) and password.
- Once signing in successfully, click the “Find iPhone” option.
- Next, click the ‘All Devices’ drop-down menu at the top and choose your iPhone. Then tap on “Erase iPhone” which will delete all the data and settings on the device (including the passcode).
iTunes is the media management tool for iOS devices that only supports data backup and syncing. You can use the Restore feature of iTunes to unlock your iPhone if you have forgotten the passcode.
- PC or Mac with iTunes
- Compatible USB cable
Step 1 – Firstly, turn off your iPhone and put it into recovery mode.
Note: Depending on the device model, the buttons used to enter the recovery mode will be different.
Step 2 – Next, open iTunes, and iTunes will show “There is a problem with the iPhone that requires it to be updated or restored”.
Click on the “Restore” button and iTunes will display the message “Are you sure you want to restore the iPhone to its factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased”.
Tap on the “Restore and Update” button.
Step 3 – The iPhone software updates window will now appear, click on ‘Next’ followed by ‘Agree’. iTunes will then download the software for your device in order to perform the Restore.
Step 4 – After the software update is downloaded, you will see a pop-up asking to erase and restore your phone. Click on the “Restore” option.
Step 5 – A recovery progress bar will now appear and after the process is complete, the iPhone will restart automatically.
Step 6 – Finally, you can set a new passcode.
So, if you too have forgotten your iPhone passcode and looking for options to unlock your device, above mentioned solutions will surely help you get out of the situation. Using iMyFone LockWiper is one of the best solutions considering it is easy and simple to use and allows unlocking the device without restoring it.
Leave a Reply