Today, the final version of VLC 1.0.0 is out and available for download. This major release introduces many new features, new formats and new codecs and fixes a very high number of bugs that were present in the 0.9.x or 0.8.6 versions.
VLC media player is the most popular open-source multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, …) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network. It doesn’t need any external codec or program to work.
VLC 1.0.0 Features
- Free, Open Source and cross-platform
- Independent of systems codecs to support most video types
- Live recording
- Instant pausing and Frame-by-Frame support
- Finer speed controls
- New HD codecs (AES3, Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD, Blu-Ray Linear PCM, Real Video 3.0 and 4.0, …)
- New formats (Raw Dirac, M2TS, …) and major improvements in many formats…
- New Dirac encoder and MP3 fixed-point encoder
- Video scaling in fullscreen
- RTSP Trickplay support
- Zipped file playback
- Customizable toolbars
- Easier encoding GUI in Qt interface
- Better integration in Gtk environments
- MTP devices on linux
- AirTunes streaming
- New skin for the skins2 interface