Spotify’s Offline Mode is a premium feature that allows users to download music and play it offline anywhere. While free users can only download podcasts, a premium subscription lets you download albums and playlists too.
In offline mode, you can only listen to music you’ve downloaded on your device. It comes in handy when you have a limited data plan or during a mountain trip without any internet connectivity. Besides, most people prefer listening to music offline on Spotify when traveling internationally due to relatively high mobile data charges.
Though the offline mode is useful, make sure to go back online on Spotify and avoid using it endlessly. The reason is Spotify asks users to go online at least once in 30 days to avoid losing their downloaded content. The company does this to collect usage data to pay out royalties to artists.
Why is Spotify saying I’m offline?
Spotify is currently set to offline, Spotify says You’re offline, or Spotify shows No Internet connection available even when the device is connected to Wi-Fi or mobile data?
These errors commonly appear when you access the Spotify app in offline mode. Worry not if Spotify is not playing music!
To get Spotify to work again, you need to change Spotify from offline to online mode. Doing so will allow you to enjoy on-demand playback, search for music, and download new songs like before.
Though it’s pretty easy to get Spotify off offline mode in order to stream music without any interruption. However, new Spotify users may get confused when trying to disable the offline mode.
Nevertheless, here’s a quick guide to turn off offline mode on Spotify on PC, Mac, Android, and iPhone.
How to turn off Offline Mode on Spotify
On Desktop (Windows PC)
- Open the Spotify app on your Windows computer.
- Make sure to log in to your Spotify Premium account if you aren’t already.
- In the Spotify app, click the 3-dot menu button at the top-left corner.
- Go to File and click on the “Offline Mode” option to turn it off.
That’s it. When turned off, the blue offline icon next to your profile picture will disappear.
To turn off Spotify Offline Mode on macOS,
- Launch the Spotify app and sign in to your account if you haven’t already.
- Go to ‘Spotify‘ in the menu bar on Mac.
- Select ‘Offline Mode’ to turn Spotify back online.
- Open Spotify and tap the ‘Home‘ tab.
- Tap your profile picture at the top left and select ‘Settings and privacy‘.
- Under Spotify Settings, go to the ‘Playback‘ option.
- Turn off the toggle button for ‘Offline‘ (at the top) to exit offline mode.
- Open the Spotify app on your Android smartphone or tablet.
- Log in to your Spotify account.
- Go to ‘Home‘ and tap the ‘Settings’ button (gear icon) at the top-right corner.
- Scroll down to Playback and turn off the toggle next to ‘Offline mode’.
That’s it. Spotify will now go back online and let you access all the playback features.