How to Find Archived Messages on Facebook Messenger
The archive chat is a handy feature that lets you hide conversations from your Messenger inbox. While you can access archived messages later on if required. On the other hand, deleting a conversation permanently removes the chat which you cannot retrieve later on. That’s why it’s better to archive messages from people you don’t wish to interact with anytime soon. You can archive all the unwanted individual or group chats to keep your Messenger inbox clean and organized.
That said, if you are having trouble finding archived conversations in the new Messenger app then you aren’t alone.
The Messenger app for both iOS and Android doesn’t offer a dedicated option to view archived chats. Meanwhile, it’s easy to see archived threads through the Facebook website as well as Messenger.com. Let’s now find out how you can see archived or hidden messages in Messenger on iPhone and Android.
How to See Archived Messages in Messenger 2019 on iPhone and Android
Using the Messenger app
- Open Messenger and tap the “Chats” tab.
- Tap Search at the top.
- Now search the name of the specific contact.
- Tap the person’s name to view the conversation.
- Send a message to the person to unarchive the chat.
The particular conversation will then be moved back to your inbox.
Using Facebook.com on Mobile
Use this method instead if you have a long list of archived messages. You will need it in case you don’t remember the person’s name whose conversation you had archived. This workaround works both on iPhone and Android, and you don’t need to have Messenger installed on your device for this to work. Here’s how you can find archived chats on Messenger without searching the person’s name.
- Visit facebook.com in a browser on your phone.
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Tap the Messenger tab at the top.
- Simply navigate back once if Messenger app opens up. (Important)
- Scroll down the Messenger page on Facebook’s mobile website.
- Tap “View Archived Messages”.
- Select the conversation you want to view.
- (Optional) Send the contact a new message to unarchive the conversation.
It’s worth noting that an archived chat will get unarchive automatically when you receive a new message from that particular chat.
ALSO READ: How to Remove a Reaction in Messenger
How to Archive Messages in new Messenger
- Open Chats inside the Messenger app.
- Swipe left on the conversation you want to archive.
- Tap the hamburger icon.
- Tap the Archive option.