Looking forward to root HTC One on Mac OS and make it more awesome by enabling access to root applications or custom ROM? Well, you can easily root all variants of HTC One (AT&T, Sprint, T-mobile, International, Unlocked) if you’ve an unlocked bootloader and have a custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) installed. The process of rooting HTC One involves unlocking the device bootloader and then booting into custom recovery to flash the root files. Follow the procedure below to root HTC One (M7) on Mac!
Tutorial – Rooting & Installing CWM Custom Recovery on HTC One using Mac
Step 1 – Unlock HTC One Bootloader (using a Mac). Note: This will WIPE entire data on your device. So, take a backup of all your personal and important data.
Step 2 – Download the required files:
- ClockworkMod (CWM) Custom Recovery – Available for HTC One International, AT&T, Sprint, T-mobile, Unlocked (non-US GSM). Link: clockworkmod.com/rommanager
- Download UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.34.zip
- Download htcone-fastboot.zip and extract it to a folder.
Step 3 – Copy the ‘htcone-fastboot’ folder to Home directory in Finder. Also, copy the downloaded custom recovery .img file for your model to htcone-fastboot folder.
Step 4 – Transfer the ‘UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.34.zip’ file to your phone’s root storage.
- ‘Enable USB Debugging’ on your phone. (Settings > Developer options)
- Now “Power off” the device. Then press the Volume Down + Power button simultaneously to start the device into Bootloader mode (HBOOT).
- Highlight Fastboot using the volume buttons and press the Power button to enter into Fastboot mode.
- Connect the device to the computer via a USB cable.
Step 5 – Open Terminal on Mac (Applications > Utilities). In terminal, type the following lines of code after the $, hit return (enter) after each line. In second line, type your user name as seen in Finder, and without the brackets. Refer below image:
cd [your username]
./fastboot-mac flash recovery [name of recovery .img file]
./fastboot-mac erase cache
Note: If you don’t want to flash custom recovery, then use the below command instead (in 4th line). This will rather temporarily boot the device into custom recovery, letting you root the phone without installing CWM recovery.
./fastboot-mac boot [name of recovery .img file]
Rooting: While you’re in fastboot, highlight the “Bootloader” option and press power button. Now select and open ‘Recovery’ from bootloader mode. In CWM, choose ‘install zip from sdcard’ (use volume keys to navigate and power key to select on non-touch recovery), select ‘choose zip from sdcard’, then select the file ‘UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.34.zip’ to flash. Upon completion, select ‘Go Back’ and ‘Reboot system now’.
Voila! After the device reboots, you should see the SuperSU app installed and root privileges on your HTC One.