How to update Samsung Galaxy S to Android 2.2 Froyo via Kies [Anywhere in the world]
Samsung has officially announced the availability of new Android 2.2 Froyo upgrade, which started to roll out via Kies in the Nordic region. If you’re based from any other country over the world and want to upgrade your Galaxy S (GT-I9000) to Android 2.2 Froyo update, then check the below tutorial to accomplish this task.
How to Upgrade Galaxy S to Android 2.2 Froyo update –
Firstly, make sure to backup all the important data present on your device.
Download Samsung Kies version 188.8.131.5274_45 or something that is not the latest, you will need to uninstall the latest then install this one.
1. Connect your phone and open Samsung Kies and let you phone be detected as usual.
2. Keep Kies open, minimize it and run regedit in windows.
3. Locate HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Samsung\Kies\DeviceDB\
4. You should see some folders, named 1,2,3 etc in that folder, look for the one that mentions your current firmware, IMEI number, etc.
5. Once you find the correct folder (only one folder mentions this information), you need to modify 3 strings by simply double-clicking on them.
6. Locate the following 3 entries and change their value to the ones shown below. (You may first like to backup their value data to a notepad file).
SoftwareRevision = I9000XXJF3/I9000SWC/I9000XXJF3/I9000XXJF3
ProductCode = GT-I9000HKDXEE
HIDSWVER = I9000XXJF3/I9000SWC/I9000XXJF3/I9000XXJF3
Now close the Registry editor and do a Refresh. So, while Kies is minimized and still open and connected to your phone, you have changed these 3 strings.
7. Click on ‘Firmware Upgrade’ button in Kies, and you should now see Kies saying there is one upgrade for JP6. Now wait and let the upgrade process to complete.
Note – The above procedure is said to be working perfectly but try it at your own risk. Also, flashing will result in loosing the root if you were rooted.
Source: Android Forums